Nonprofit Finance Fund conducted a survey of over 950 nonprofit professionals. Key findings include:
- Only 12% expect to operate above break-even this year.
- Just 16% anticipate being able to cover their operating expenses in both 2009 and 2010.
- 31% don’t have enough operating cash in hand to cover more that one month of expenses, and another 31% have less than three months’ worth.
- 52% of respondents expect the recession to have a long-term (2+ years) or permanent negative financial effect on their organizations.
- 93% of lifeline organizations that provide essential services anticipate an increase in demand in 2009.